At £2.20 a day we feel that our menu is value for money and provides a nourishing hot meal that has been designed with kids in mind. Feeding children good school food is a responsibility we take very seriously.
Did you know?
- We freshly prepare all our meals daily – we do not use leftovers and we do not re-heat our meals.
- All our meals comply with the Welsh Government nutritional standards.
- Vegetables and salads are offered to every pupil, every day.
- Over 80% of our vegetables, salad and fruit are sourced from the UK.
- All our eggs are free range and BEIC Lion Quality.
- Vegetarian and halal options are available daily. With GP referral, special diets can be made available.
Aid to learning
Recent research has shown that a good, healthy meal at lunchtime can help improve pupils attention and response during afternoon lessons.
A well balanced diet
We passionately believe that every child deserved a healthy, well balanced diet. A freshly prepared meal at school goes a long way to achieve this.
Free School Meals
If you are claiming certain benefits you could save money by claiming free school meals for your child.
Children whose parents or carers receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals in schools maintained by the council. The term parent includes someone living in the household as the partner of a child’s biological parent.
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit where total annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom service) is less than £16,190.00 a year
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – this is the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working tax Credit (usually when their employment ceases or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week). Any other type of Working Tax Credit will not make you entitled to free school meals.
Pupils who receive Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance in their own right are also eligible to receive free school meals.
You can learn more about free school meals on the following website: Free School meals – Welsh GovernmentOpens new window
How to apply for free school meals
The quickest, easiest and cheapest way is to apply online.
Alternatively, you can download an application form, fill it in and send it to: Free school meals, Benefits section, Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road, Swansea, SA1 3SN.
You can also ring us on 01792 635353 and we’ll post an application form to you.
What if my circumstances change?
If you have a change in your personal circumstances that might mean you are no longer entitled to free school meals you must notify us immediately. Tell us about changes such as:
- starting work and coming off benefits
- if you change to a different benefit
- moving home
- if another of your children starts school for the first time
- if your child changes school mid way through a term
If you do not tell us about changes at the time they happen, you may have to pay us back for any meals taken whilst you were not eligible.
Decided not to apply?
Did you know that the Welsh Government gives an extra grant for every child that is entitled to and claims free school meals. It can be a significant extra bonus for your child’s school so we would urge you to make a claim.
School meals offer a healthy option with significant nutritional benefits and recent evidence suggests that having a healthy meal at lunchtime can assist in improving a child’s performance and concentration during the day.
Passport to Leisure
If you are entitled to free school meals you and your family are also entitled to a Passport to Leisure card which offers a discount of up to 60% at over 50 attractions including Active Swansea Leisure Centres, Plantasia, the Wales National Pool, Taliesin, the Grand Theatre and the LC.
Discounts at restaurants including Nando’s, Chiquito’s and Frankie and Benny’s are also available.
For more details visit Passport to Leisure pages